Surging Tide is pleased to launch our Second Annual Writing Contest this summer.
Please find below a more detailed prompt as well as guidelines on how to submit.
Surging Tide editors will shortlist 3-5 writers in each category (poetry and prose). We will forward this list onto the judges, who will select a winner and a runner-up. All shortlisted writers and artists will be guaranteed publication in Surging Tide Issue 10, though all pieces submitted will be considered. In addition, the winner and runner-up will receive written commentary from their respective contest judges.
Entrants can submit ONE piece per category per submission or up to FIVE pieces with a donation to Surging Tide. Multi-genre submissions allowed (i.e. you can submit one poem and one flash fiction, but not six poems.) In addition to publication, the winner of each category will be awarded $100 and each runner-up will also be awarded $25. There is no fee to enter.
HOW TO ENTER
Attach your submission as a .pdf using the form on the left. Please name your file [NAME OF FIRST/ONLY PIECE].
An entrant may submit only one piece per category (poetry/prose) for consideration without an entry fee. With a donation, an entrant can submit up to five pieces per category. All donations go to maintaining Surging Tide's website, supporting new projects, and paying our judges. Please donate on our support page.
All submissions are judged anonymously. Please ensure that your file attachment has no identifying details. Include trigger warnings if necessary.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted provided that they are acknowledged below and immediately withdrawn if accepted elsewhere.
Note: for writing submissions, we take .pdf files exclusively. Do not send your submissions as a word document. Please keep this in mind or we may not be able to read your submission.
All shortlisted and winning works will be published in Surging Tide Issue 10.
We look forward to reading your work!
We are 100% volunteer-run! If you submit, please consider donating to help us promote our free submissions, maintain our website, and continue uplifting experimental work!
THE FINE PRINT
1. We welcome submissions from all artists and writers, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, and geographic location.
2. All work should be previously unpublished. Work shared on personal social media is allowed. Work recognized but unpublished by competitions is allowed, but please note that in Other Details.
3. For written submissions, please keep your pieces to under 4000 words (excluding title) for prose, and under 150 lines (excluding title) for poetry. We welcome visual and experimental poetry that falls outside the boundary of traditional verse.
4. All work must be the creative's original work. If work is found to be plagiarized or created by AI, the submitter will be disqualified from the contest.
5. Pieces may not be altered once submitted. You are more than welcome to enter work to more than one category.
6. There is no minimum amount designated for a donation. Surging Tide is 100% volunteer-run. Anything helps!
7. Surging Tide reserves the right to change the judging panel without notice.
8. Shortlisted artists will be notified mid-August. If shortlisted, please kindly withdraw any simultaneous submissions immediately. Winners will be notified in late August.
9. Issue 10 featuring contest winners and shortlisted writers will be released in September.
10. If you have questions, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.